Friday, May 14, 2010

Pizza Pizza Pizza!

Just the other night (at girl's night), I had Papa Murphy's Mediterranean Chicken Pizza for the first time, and I fell in love! It was soooo good....but on a poor-college-student budget, not so affordable on a regular basis... :(
BUT I came up with a solution! MAKE IT myself :D
I searched high and low for copycat recipes of the crust and toppings for this delicious pizza and I found 2 (not 1, but TWO) websites that gave me some great tips! I am going to share them with you, here!

For the CRISPY crust: {I LOVE crispy crust pizzas!}
(from GreatPizzaRecipes) with a few of my own adjustments ;)
Ingredients:
  • 1 ¼ cups warm water
  • 1 packet active dry yeast
  • 1 ¼ tablespoons sugar
  • 3 ¼ cups flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. mix the water, yeast, and sugar in a glass bowl - allow to sit for 8-10 minutes
  2. place flour and salt in a mixing bowl, mix/sift together
  3. add liquid to flour mixture and mix for 4-6 minutes (the end result should be slightly sticky and firm - adjust with flour/water)
  4. cover and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place {I turned the oven on LOW and put it in there after turning the heat off}
  5. put on 14-inch pizza sheet for thick crust and 16-inch for thin crust {I actually cut the dough in HALF and made 2 very THIN crust pizzas on 14-in pizza pans}
  6. top with desired toppings (below), bake for 10-15 minutes (or until golden brown and crispy) on 450 degrees.
For topping:
(from TammysRecipes) for the papa murphy's take-and-bake pizza
Sauce Ingredients: {mix and spread over dough}
  • 1/3 cup Light or Fat Free Italian salad dressing
  • 2-3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • dash of black pepper
Toppings: {sprinkle on sauced dough in order listed}
  • 3-4 cups (12-16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1-2 cups cooked cubed chicken breast
  • 1/3 cup Sun Dried tomatoes
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/3 cup diced onions, optional
  • 1 cup (or one small handful) fresh baby spinach leaves
  • 1 medium-large Roma tomato, diced
This time, I didn't have very many of the ingredients listed here, so I (once again) improvised!
I made a sauce with a can of Italian diced tomatoes, sprinkled sauteed chicken/onions/green peppers, and topped it off with sliced fresh vine tomatoes and mozzarella cheese! It was still SOOO good!
Here are some pics of the masterpiece:
Fresh out of the oven! - YUMMY!

Close-up {with some grated Parmesan cheese}

I ran out of cheese on the second one, so there's only a little on it, but it was still tasty!

I highly recommend making your own pizzas!
It's so simple, soooo much cheaper, and it's completely customizable to your liking!!
It doesn't get much better than this :D

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm mmmm... it looks delicious!! I'm excited to give it a try! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that looks SO GOOD! You did such a great job and it looks like you are perfecting your photography already. Thanks for your comment by the way. If you don't mind, could I add you to my blog list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy Meg...thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete