Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Toddler Boy Neck Tie

I always wanted a girl because I thought that I could only craft/sew things for little girls - headbands, dresses, accessories, and ruffly goodness...But I have come to live with the fact that I will soon be a mother of not just one, but TWO boys...and that even though there are a larger variety of girly crafts, if I get a little creative, I can make equally cute and adorable things for boys too!

Starting with TIES...the one thing that boys, and men alike, can use to put a little character and creative spin on their outfits. I looked everywhere for cute {non-clip-on} ties for infants and toddlers...with no success, I decided to make my own! One that looks like a real tied necktie and not one that Noa can easily rip off as soon as you put it on...

After much searching, I came across this fabulous tutorial on how to make one. It seriously took me less than an hour each to make!!! The only change I made was - I just adjusted the size to a smaller toddler size, probably 18mo. instead of the 3T...

and voila!


Cute, right?? I am SO happy with the way they turned out!

here are more pictures of the the sewing process and the finished product...
The tutorial from Sewing in No Mans Land is fantastic and I just followed it step-by-step
first, find fun/funky fabric you want to use.
I had this from when I made my apron a few years ago that I still LOVE.

I followed the advice and made a pattern, because I know that I will be making many more of these in the future (it's all crinckly because a little monkey got to it first)
...my measurements were 18in x 16in (on the long sides) and 3 in x 7 in (shorter sides)...very approximate.
Ironing is critical! not only does it make it easier to sew, it allows for a much cleaner finish!

And to finish - tie, straighten, and admire!
It looks like it has actually been tied and has the "folded" look on the back side, just like a grown-up tie!

I made the neck adjustable/expandable with velcro, so Noa has a little growing room.


And of course, I have the perfect boy to model the new ties!!

Go ahead and make your own!!! Again, the tutorial can be found here.

I'm thinking a bow-tie next....any thoughts?? 



{PS Noa's 18 month shoot is coming up soon! - Im thinking the yellow tie with a fun plaid shirt}

6 comments:

  1. for cute!!! you're so crafty!
    and i would LOVE to put milo in bow ties. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey , i cant find the pattern on that site. Do you happen to have it. I am trying to make a tie as a gift but was going to make the full mens tie just in a boys size. I dont have his neck measurement, but was thinking 10in for shoulder to waist, 4 in for knot, 8 inches for back of tie and 6 for neck equaling 28 to 30 inches length for a 16 month. any thoughts? love your pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thank you for reading! I didn't realize that the link doesn't work, so I really appreciate you letting me know! I just went back and searched it in their site and I found the re-post of the tutorial here: http://www.sewinginnomansland.com/2012/08/23/little-boys-neck-tie-tutorial-and-free-pattern-repost/

      I hope that helps!!!

      Delete
  3. GIRL! This is so so adorable! I am inspired by you. Thanks for sharing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole!
      I have moved my blog over to this new address: dontmindifidoblog.blogspot.com.
      I would love for you to check out my newer posts there! Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
    2. PS I LOVE your blog! new follower :D

      Delete